EaP CSF Workshop on Energy Union and Energy Security in EaP Countries
On 20 October 2015, the Workshop on Energy Union and Energy Security in EaP Countries was organised as part of a joint project within the new EaP CSF re-granting scheme. to increase awareness and capacity of EaP countries’ CSOs in understanding of the EU new energy initiative-Energy Union and thus to enable synergies and cooperation between the EU and EaP countries for assuring the purpose oriented practical research in energy security During the workshop led by the EaP CSF member World Experience for Georgia (WEG), energy experts from EaP countries presented their policy papers and discussed the main findings of the joint project with the EU representatives: Marion Schiller-Probst (DG ENER, European Commission), Natalja Miolato (DG NEAR, European Commission) and Camelia Suică (EEAS). The main goal of the joint project is to increase the capacity of EaP CSOs in promoting an enhanced cooperation between the EU and EaP countries in energy security under the new EU initiative – Energy Union.
After presenting the policy papers of each EaP country and exchanging the views on the findings of the project, the participants drew a number of conclusions and policy recommendations common for the six EaP countries:
- Increase the diversification of energy sources and energy suppliers in the EaP countries
- Modernize the existing energy infrastructure in the EaP countries
- Ensure safety of energy infrastructure and security of energy transit in the current geopolitical situation
- Direct more funding into research and innovation in the energy sector
- Launch EnergyEast initiative based on the example of the existing ClimaEast project
Good governance and transparency in the EaP countries were mentioned as being essential prerequisites for energy security.
Policy Papers Presentations:
ENERGY UNION AND ENERGY SECURITY IN EaP COUNTRIES